Advisory on Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Card
It has come to the notice of the High Commission of India, Canberra that
some of the passengers having OCI Card have not been allowed by some of the
airlines on the account of a mismatch between the current passport number of
the passenger and the passport number endorsed on the OCI Card. This has
happened, primarily, due to wrong interpretation of the OCI rules by the Airlines
executives. The correct rule position is conveyed below:
- Overseas Citizen of India card is required to be re-issued each time a new
passport is issued up to the age of 20 years;
- Re-issuance of the OCI card is not mandatory each time a new passport is
issued between 21 and 50 years of age. However, if the applicant wishes to
obtain new set of OCI documents, he/she can apply for the same;
- OCI card is required to be re-issued only once on renewal of passport
after completing 50 years of age.
- If the first OCI card is issued at the age of 50 years or later, there is no
need for renewal of the OCI Card.
- Further, in case of change of nationality of the OCI cardholder, he/she can
be permitted to enter/exit on the strength of the OCI card and valid passport of
the new nationality provided the new nationality is not that of Pakistan or
Regional Managers of All the Airlines operating from Australia.